Maternity & Midwifery Forum
Midwifery Sector News Videos

Baby’s Skin Microbiome

Babies are thinner-skinned than adults are.

We don’t just mean that they’re easily offended (although they definitely are) – their skin is literally thinner. Babies’ skin has poorer barrier and water handling functions than adults’ skin for at least the first 12 months of their lives.

More delicate skin demands more delicate care in order to avoid damage and infection. WaterWipes are made with 99.9% water (the other 0.1% is a fruit extract that helps to clean and condition the skin) and claim to be the world’s purest baby wipes.

At the first ever All-Ireland Maternity & Midwifery Festival, Dr Emer Gilligan explained what makes newborns’ skin unique, how it changes as they age, and how WaterWipes have been developed to respond to the challenge of caring for babies’ skin.

Loved this video?  Experience our Maternity & Midwifery Festivals live – check out our upcoming events.

Don’t forget to like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


Leave a Comment